ANC Free State members to contest provincial list conference

Charles Molele

Disgruntled ANC members in the Free State are preparing to contest the outcome of the provincial list conference held in December last year, a move that could jeopardise the governing party’s chances to retain power in the province. 

An ANC faction opposed to former Free State Premier and current ANC secretary general has previously called for the removal of the entire provincial executive committee, under the leadership of Sam Mashinini, a close ally of Magashule. However, the national executive committee dismissed the call to disband the PEC, with some senior party leaders arguing it would destabilise the ANC ahead of the crucial general elections on 8 May.

In court papers lodged in the Gauteng High Court, the applicants – Andrew Khothule, Abiel Mokotso and Gideon Ntwanambi, are asking the court to declare the ANC Provincial List Conference held on 10 December 2018 as ‘unlawful’ and ‘unconstitutional’.

The applicants are calling for the decisions and resolutions taken at the provincial lists conference to be declared null and void including the election of the nominated candidates for the ANC Free State Provincial Legislature and the National Legislature.

They are also calling for the Independent Electoral Commission to allow for an amended list of candidates once the court has ruled on the matter.

On Wednesday, ANC provincial spokesperson William Bulwane told Inside Politic that the party has receive court papers contesting last year’s provincial list conference.

“We have received the court papers but our lawyers are currently looking into the matter and we have no further comment,” said Bulwane.

National Assembly and Provincial Legislature lists

Meanwhile, the party’s Integrity Commission, which has been mandated by the ANC NEC to review its lists of candidates for the national assembly and provincial legislatures, confirmed this week that it has completed its work.

It is understood that the report is said to have recommended that ANC deputy president David Mabuza and national chairperson Gwede Mantashe be among those who should step aside.

Other ANC heavyweights that insiders say are in the firing line include Bathabile Dlamini, Nomvula Mokonyane, ANC head of elections Fikile Mbalula, Zizi Kodwa as well as Thabang Makwetla.

But the party’s integrity commission chair George Mashamba has declined to comment about the report.

On Monday, Mbalula told journalists there was still time for the ANC to amend its lists.

However, the IEC objection process has been partially concluded.

Two weeks ago, the commission said it received 29 objections to the ANC’s lists, including to the candidacy of Mokonyane, Dlamini and ministers such as Zweli Mkhize, Angie Motshekga and Bheki Cele.

The commission did not uphold any of the objections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *