The latest in the drama unfolding at the public inquiry into state capture has seen Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo announcing that Jacob Zuma wishes to continue to cooperate with the commission; after Zuma’s legal team announced earlier that the former president will no longer be part of proceedings.
When the hearings reumed Friday morning after Wednesday’s adjournment, Ad.Muzi Sikhakhane told Zondo: “Chair, the reason we are here today is to tell you that we will take no further part in these proceedings.”
Zondo responded by saying that while he was disappointed, he had noted what had been said, and then summoned both sets of legal team to his chambers.
“I do have my ideas of my own that I would like to discuss with them to see whether we can’t find a situation where the concerns raised by the former president can be accommodated,” Zondo said.
Following the lengthy consultations, Zondo said Zuma had agreed to return to testify on a date which has not yet been determined.
“The decision that the former president would no longer participate in the proceedings is withdrawn,” Zondo said.
Zuma then addressed his many supporters who came to back him at the Commission.